Friday, September 3, 2010

What is our purpose?

I have been thinking a lot lately about what my purpose really is while I am here. I really hope that I am fulfilling my purpose, and I guess I will never really know until I am with my maker. But, I am going to try my hardest to do what I feel I am called to do. I am also going to try my hardest to work for the creature of the universe than for just doing what I am doing to accomplish a task at work. I know that it can be easy around here to get distracted by our tasks and not focus on what we are ultimately here to do.

I pray that God will continue to guide me as to where I am suppose to be serving him, whether it be in the church, at a non-profit, or getting married an being an at-home mom. Whatever it is, I want to follow him wherever he leads me, trying to live out my purpose here on earth.

He has showed you, O man, what is good.
And what does the LORD require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy
and to walk humbly with your God.
-Micah 6:8


I know I have used this verse before, but I truly believe that God has called us to do 3 simple things that society makes so much more complicated. I hope to follow this verse throughout my entire life and strive for eternal "acceptance" rather than earthly "acceptance." I feel like up until now I have focused on what others have thought and how many friends I have, but what is that going to look like when I get to heaven. What am I going to say to God, "well, I didn't spend as much time with you, in your word, in prayer, and serving you because I was too busy trying to be accepted by others on earth." I really hope that when I get to heaven the Lord says, "well done my good and faithful servant." I would rather have a few close christian friends and dive more into knowing and serving the Lord more than having earthly acceptance.

I know I struggle with this and hope that with discipline and help of other Christians I can continue to strive to live out God's purpose for my life.

Trust in the LORD with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways acknowledge him,
and he will make your paths straight.
-Proverbs 3:5-6


I pray that I can follow these 2 key passages, both the one from Micah and Proverbs. I need a life change, a change to follow Christ with all that I have, not what is left over and live out what God's purpose is for my life...

No comments:

Post a Comment